Site Names of Qianfoya Scenic Spot

South to North:

South Entrance Archway → Parking Lot→ Rest Room → Shopping Street → Buddhist Tea Garden → Tingtaoge Pavilion → Dock of the Jialinjiang River →Opera Theater → Beiting Pavilion → Lianziping → Restaurant → Tourist Center → Main Gate →Dayun Temple →Jinniu Path Site → Qianfoya Museum → Shrine Zone → Rest Room → Arhat Spring → North Gate

Qianfoya (Thousand-Buddha Cliff) Cliff Inscriptions and Reliefs

Qianfoya Cliff Inscriptions and Reliefs began to appear in the late Northern Wei Dynasty, thrived in the Tang Dynasty, and were continued to a limited extent in the Five Dynasties and the Qing Dynasty. Today, there are 1,192 shrines, over 7,000 reliefs, 118 inscriptions from the Tang Dynasty to the Qing Dynasty, and over 30 poems of celebrities of all dynasties. They are the largest shrine clusters in Sichuan and were among the first group of state protected historic sites announced by the State Council in 1961.

Many of the existing typical shrines of Qianfoya were funded by officials of the two capitals (Chang'an and Luoyang); they embody the fashion and artistic standard of the buddhist stone carving art of the two capitals, and especially, the reliefs with back screens in the central altar are unmatched among the reliefs of China.

Dayun Temple Dayun Temple, founded in the late Northern Wei Dynasty, was originally named as Botang Temple. After Wu Zetian ascended the throne and ordered Dayun Temple to be established in every province of China, the name of the temple was thus changed to Dayun Temple. The existing Buddha Hall was built in the Qianlong 19th Year (1754) with the donation of Zhang Gengmo, the county magistrate of Guangyuan at time.
Shiguige Pavilion Located at the south side of Qianfoya Cliff and facing the river, it was a famous pavilion on the Jinniu Path that could only be accessed through a trestle road along the cliff. In the Qianyuan 2nd Year (759) of Suzong's reign in the Tang Dynasty, Du Fu had been here and wrote the poem Shiguige Pavilion when he was heading to Sichuan together with his whole family.
Jinniu Path Site Jinniu Path was also called Shiniu Path, Wuding Path, Jiange Path and so on originated from the tale of “five men construct a path for stone cattle that can shit gold”. It was a main mountain path that connected the Qin and Shu region. Jinniu Path began to pass Qianfoya Cliff in around the period of the Three Kingdoms and became a main path that had been followed thereafter. In 1935, the government of the Republic of China began to construct the Sichuan-Shaanxi Highway and caused significant damages to the shrines.
The Site of Stone Arhats of the Ming Dynasty There was an arhat temple at Qianfoya Cliff in the Ming Dynasty; at the beginning of the Republic of China, the temple building was destroyed. The stone arhats were buried together in 1935 when the Sichuan-Shaanxi Highway was under construction. In April 2010, they were unearthed through archaeological excavation, and we have more than 20 of them at present.

Qianfoya Scenic Spot